Grilled Beets with Micro Greens and Feta

Posted on

Gonna slice me up some beets

Beets.  Now who doesn’t like beets?  Actually, I didn’t for the longest time (skip this if you already know this story 🙂 ).  The taste was odd to me — kinda like an earthier carrot.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that.  But it just seemed weird.  Maybe it’s because I wasn’t exposed to them as a child.  Actually I don’t think Brooklyn had any beets at the time.  Sure, that’s probably not accurate and my memory is somewhat foggy.  After all, I was only like five years old at the time and that was like 100 years ago.

I admit, I did not dress the greens on this one

But I digress… This I served as a side, but it is easy to turn this into a full vegetarian course.  And again, this is hard for me to quantify because I grilled some beets and served it with a handful of greens and topped it with some feta so ingredients are just a guestimation.  This is easy-peasy lemon-squeezy; here’s kinda what you need:

Just another way of arranging the beets.  I did dress these greens.
  • 1 beet, sliced about 1/4″ thick
  • vegetable oil, for brushing the beets
  • 1 c. micro greens or baby greens (I used daikon and chard)
  • 1/4 c. feta, crumbled
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • salad dressing, to taste

1.  Prepare your grill, as needed (again, I use hardwood charcoal).  Brush the beets with the vegetable oil on both sides.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

2.  Grill the beets until tender over direct heat, about 2-3 minutes a side.  Remove from the heat to cool slightly.  Meanwhile, in a small bowl, lightly dress the greens

3.  Arrange the beets on the plate.  Top with the dressed greens.  Sprinkle with the feta crumbles.  Add salt and pepper if you like.

Yay for beets!

Notes — for the dressing, I just drizzled some olive oil and lemon juice on top of the greens to dress them

9 thoughts on “Grilled Beets with Micro Greens and Feta

jibuyabu said:
    July 31, 2012 at 8:57 am

Looks great. I love beetroot and feta together.

August 2, 2012 at 11:29 pm

It’s sweet and tangy all at the same time!

Lady Sensory said:
    July 31, 2012 at 9:11 am

Yay for beets is right. I usually roast them, but grilling sounds like a fun option!

August 2, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I luv roasted beets, but I usually grill anything and everything during the summer

July 31, 2012 at 11:29 am

I totally love beets, while my hubs doesn’t (and they are part of his Russian heritage!), but no matter–more for me. I love your salad. Simple with fresh, beautiful ingredients!

I never knew you were a Brooklyn girl!
    Yes, you can get beets easily here now… 🙂

August 2, 2012 at 11:33 pm

p.s. 235! that is, if i remember correctly

ambrosiana said:
    July 31, 2012 at 7:37 pm

This is a delicious salad! Love the combination of flavors!

laurasmess said:
    January 5, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Hello! Love this recipe, beetroot is definitely one of my favourite ingredients. Ever. I think it’s a family trait, as my dad once ate so much beetroot that his pee turned red for a couple of days (I only know this as he called my mum in a panicked state, thinking that he was bleeding… she thought it was hilarious). Anyway, enough pee talk for a food-related post! Loving your blog, keep up the good work!