Grilled Corn with Radish Butter

Mmmm, tasty!

Corn, a grill, and compound butter.  How can that combination be wrong?  I love grilling corn and I’m on the side of the spectrum that grills the corn without the husks on.  In my opinion, if you grill with the husks on you’re really not grilling the corn but steaming it.  I, for one, like a nice, smoky char.  And I like nice, simple, summer recipes.  You can’t get much simpler than this — corn, butter, radishes.  That’s essentially all you need.  I just add some herbs for some additional flavor (just some basil and parsley, but use whatever you want).

We were grilling those peppers, too. Can’t waste that fire on the grill!
Oooooo — action shot!  Threw that squash on the grill, as well.

I would serve this as a side, but it is easy to get full from this because you can get carried away.  Here’s what you need:

• 1 stick of butter, softened
  • 1 -2 radishes, chopped
  • chopped herbs, to taste
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 6 – 8 ears of corn, husks removed
  • vegetable oil

1.  Prepare your grill (I use charcoal).  Meanwhile, combine the butter, radishes, herbs, salt, & pepper in a bowl.  Set aside.

2.  Brush the corn with the oil and place on the grill over direct heat.  Grill until nicely browned, about 8 – 10 minutes.  Turn the ears as needed to cook evenly.  Transfer to a serving plate.

3.  After the corn is removed from the grill, brush with the radish butter.  Sprinkle on a little salt & pepper if you like and serve.

Don’t know why I like this shot
That chopper makes things so much easier.

Notes — You can bush the radish butter on the corn while it’s on the grill, but I’d wait until the last couple of minutes because the radishes could burn. . . You can keep the husks on.  Peel them back and tie them to make a handle.  Just keep the husks off the heat — hang them over the edge of the grill. . . Make some extra radish butter — it’s great on a nice toasty baguette!

Aerial shot
Built-in handles!

10 thoughts on “Grilled Corn with Radish Butter

Sheryl said:
    July 19, 2012 at 9:34 am

Love the idea of the radish butter! Delicious with the corn!

July 19, 2012 at 4:33 pm

i forget where i got the idea. for some reason i think i was doing some research of French cooking when this popped up.

July 19, 2012 at 9:38 am

I loved grilled corn. Must make this the next time we grill. I love that you added a squirt of lime and the radish. Reminds me of Mexico. 🙂

July 19, 2012 at 4:34 pm

it’s really tasty. made it several times already this summer!

Jed Gray (sportsglutton) said:
    July 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Radish butter?? That’s a new one for me, but I’m totally down with it. Great idea.

July 19, 2012 at 4:37 pm

i think it has its roots in French cooking. it’s nice to get that punch from the radishes. plus it’s like getting two veggies in one 🙂

July 19, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Awesome idea!

gina @ cateror said:
    July 25, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Radish butter? What a unique idea! Can’t wait to try this one out, thank you for posting 🙂

August 2, 2012 at 11:30 pm

it’s a combination of radishes (yum!) and butter (also yum!)

a toast and tea said:
    August 21, 2012 at 6:41 pm

This looks really great – and I agree on grilling without the husks. If you don’t get that char, why bother grilling at all? I love the idea of the radish butter!