Random concerns when I have no electricity

Not having power makes it difficult to blog. So this is a first for me — using my iPhone to do a quick blurb. But I figured “why not?”. What else have I got to do in this 97 degree F heat?

Being without power for several days is surprisingly not new to me since I bought my house. I’ve been here less than 3 years and this is probably the fifth time it’s happened. Once it occurred when my family was visiting from Florida last summer i think. Another time it happened the day of my annual Winter Feast. Almost cancelled it but folks came anyway — we lit oodles of candles, had a big fire going in the fireplace, and drank lots of Martha’s egg nog. When the power came back it was like Rockefeller Center in my living room during the tree lighting ceremony. We all cheered, drank egg nog, and ate some crackers whilst the hosts tried to salvage the pork loin that should have been roasting for the past few hours.

Now sure it’s annoying to look down the bottom of my hill and see my neighbors across the street flaunting their electricity like there’s no tomorrow with their fancy lamp post and string lights. But often, weird times like this are when we get our best life stories. I even started a new tradition because of it; now every year I start out my Winter Feast with every light in the house turned off. Everything gets turned on right before dinner, or before we start with the nog. And then there is much rejoicing!

But every time this happens some of the same weird questions and concerns pop up. Of course these all involve food safety and I should know the answers since I am ServSafe certified, but I still wonder…
How terrible is it if I’m starting to smell kimchi in my refrigerator, especially if I am 100% sure there should be none in there?

People drink warm milk all the time. One glass couldn’t hurt all that much.

Can you cook burgers just using “solar power”?

Hot dogs have lots of preservatives so those can last for a while on the counter, right?

If I time it right, I think I can pickle everything…. or make adobo for days…

Let me say this — PLEASE FOLLOW ALL SAFETY GUIDELINES SET FORTH BY THE FDA OR OTHER APPROPRIATE GOVERNMENT INSTITUTION!

That being said, here’s a Vanilla cheesecake with strawberries I made following all safety guidelines. Recipe to follow once I get electricity back. Stay cool everyone! And follow me on Facebook! And follow Daisy Cakes on Facebook!

20120706-151802.jpg

15 thoughts on “Random concerns when I have no electricity

chefkurtvk said:
    July 6, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Great time for a cocktail party. You don’t want the mixers going bad, do you?

July 7, 2012 at 11:56 am

Ugh, sounds awful. I really feel bad for the pets and elderly. Hope you get your power back soon.

July 10, 2012 at 6:25 pm

it was actually ahead of schedule, but still sucked. i think everyone in the area is up and running now

Mel said:
    July 7, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Come on over with your dogs! I emailed you the phone/address. Brrr, it sure is cold over here… πŸ˜‰

Just A Smidgen said:
    July 7, 2012 at 9:58 pm

What a nightmare.. I hope everyone has electricity soon.. I was wondering if some are still without it. Our news drops stories like this and I always wonder…

July 10, 2012 at 6:25 pm

i think everyone has got power back in the area

July 7, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Sorry to hear about it — hope you have power by now! Scary about the kimchi smells (with no kimchi) lol.
    Beautiful cheese cake though!

Megan @ MegGoesNomNom said:
    July 8, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Huge bummer about the power outage. I’ve been lucky and my neighborhood has not been victim to most of the outages occurring in A2 recently. Sounds like a good day to start grillin’ if the power’s not back on! πŸ˜‰

July 10, 2012 at 6:27 pm

a friend of mine is on the same power grid as the Stadium, so he never loses power πŸ™‚

Jed Gray (sportsglutton) said:
    July 9, 2012 at 10:53 am

Awesome looking cheesecake. Hope your staying somewhat cool and have electricity back soon.

July 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm

didn’t have to get rid of anything in the freezer. like i said, this has happened several times before so we have lots of foam coolers around

Tyler Drabicki said:
    October 11, 2012 at 11:26 am

I really love to munch cheesecakes because they are oh so tasty. i really like to eat like 2 or 4 per day. :”.””

Please do view our webpage