Cranberry Peanut Granola

So I’m planning on doing some hiking soon and I was thinking to myself, “Waterlily, what would be something tasty that you can take on your expeditions?”  And that’s when granola popped into my head.  It’s something that’s good to eat when you’re on the go, plus you can eat it on its own or on top of stuff like yogurt, ice cream, cobblers, and the like.

I use a simple formula here:  4 cups of stuff + 1/4 cup of vegetable oil + 1/4 cup of honey.  That’s just for the mixture that goes into the oven.  You can add as much fruit as you like afterwards, like raisins (yuk!), or dried hibiscus flowers, or dried apricots, etc.  Just don’t bake the fruit in the oven because it will burn.  This recipe is very simple, and I love it when things are simple!  Here’s what you need:

• 2 c. old-fashioned oatmeal
  • 1 c.  peanuts
  • 1 c. shredded coconut (I used the unsweetened big shavings)
  • 1/4 c. vegetable oil
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 c. dried cranberries

1.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or foil.  Set aside.

2.  In a large bowl, toss the oatmeal, peanuts, coconut, oil, honey, and salt to combine.  Pour onto the pan into a single layer and bake in the oven.

3.  Bake for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally while in the oven, until the granola is golden.

4.  When done, scrape the pan to loosen the granola and allow to cool in the pan.  After it has cooled, mix in the cranberries and store in an air-tight container at room temperature.  Should last a month, but I have no clue — a batch usually lasts me a couple of days before it gets eaten up.

Notes — You can mix things up by changing the ingredients.  Try different nuts, different fruits, add spices.  The possibilities are endless. . . If you are still getting some moisture left over from the oil and honey, try baking at 325 degrees F for about 30 minutes

13 thoughts on “Cranberry Peanut Granola

June 7, 2012 at 10:04 am

I love granola so much. This one is very similar to the one I make the most. The only problem is that I literally can eat the whole batch by myself. When I didn’t know how calorie dense it is, I could be in denial, but that ship has sailed! lol

June 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm

ha! i know what you mean! my granola never lasts too long

putneyfarm said:
    June 7, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Nice recipe- we will try. We make our own granola regularly and always looking for new flavors. Thx…

June 7, 2012 at 12:52 pm

it really is a very simple recipe formula and it’s easy to change up

lulu said:
    June 7, 2012 at 10:20 pm

This sounds like it could also be a good topping for a pie. Enjoy your hiking.

Jed Gray (sportsglutton) said:
    June 11, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Great and simple little hiking snack Jeremy.

Hope you’ve been well while I’ve been away from the blogging world. Cheers!

June 14, 2012 at 10:35 pm

i’ve been doing better — trying to work out. it’s working against me though cuz my body seems to be breaking down, particularly my knees. i’ll just have to work around that

filingawaycupcakes said:
    June 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Has your background always been so amazing? I have been thinking of redoing my blog, so I notice these things more, amazing! Tips please. Amazing granola too btw:]]]

June 18, 2012 at 7:02 pm

i’ve been thinking about redoing mine as well, but that is the same picture that i’ve used from one of my cakes. so i’ll probably needs some tips myself 🙂

tanyamhudson said:
    July 5, 2012 at 1:39 pm

This granola looks lovely! I have to ask–what’s the texture like? Is this more of a chewy granola or more of a crunchy one? Crunchy is what I’ve been trying and trying to make, to no avail….my granola always turns out chewy, which I like just fine…but I like crunchy better. 🙂

July 7, 2012 at 2:29 am

i’d say that this is on the crunchy side, but to get something a little bit crunchier, you could divide this in half and bake this in two batches.

tanyamhudson said:
        July 9, 2012 at 3:40 pm

That sounds like a great idea. Bookmarking to try later!

July 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm

let me know how it works!