Remembering Licorice

On this day last year, my dog Licorice passed away.  She was 16 at the time and would have turned 17 in February 2011.  Now if you remember a few months ago I had posted about having to put down my dog Moby in September of last year as well (and yes these were the saddest holidays I’ve ever experienced).  His death was from out of the blue, whereas Licorice’s passing was something for which I had been preparing for years.  Given her advanced age and some previous (and current) health scares, her death wasn’t that much of a shock.  But that didn’t make it any less painful.  After all, this was the longest relationship that I’ve had with another living thing aside from family.

I was living in Gainesville, Fl when I rescued her.  I just fell in love with her gigantic bat ears; she later grew into those.  She was black lab mix with a barrel chest, skinny legs, and pointy ears.  Definitely an odd duck for a lab.  But she was a sweetie, unless you tried to mess with her food.  Moby learned that lesson quickly.

Happy Sweet Sixteen!

Towards the end, her health started to fail.  There was a big scare when she was about 13 when she couldn’t move, spewed out fluid from both ends, and couldn’t eat a thing.  It lasted over a week and I was at the point where if I didn’t see any improvement, I would have to really consider the worst.  At the time she was on so many meds and I was up pretty much every hour administering some kind of medication.  Eventually I worked out a medication schedule that also included flipping her on her opposite side, changing / washing her bedding 3 or 4 times a day, and cleaning her as best as I could.  But she made it through and lasted a few more years.

The last few months of her life became more of a struggle.  She wasn’t able to walk around on her own; only her front legs had any kind of strength.  Also, she had started to get some skin infections and problems with discharge from her eyes.  Her weight dropped and her breathing became more labored.  Not the best quality of life.

Daisy and Licorice want some cake!

But there are lots of happy memories, with birthdays being some of those memories.  This is from her Sweet Sixteen.  I couldn’t afford to buy her a car, but she got a cake baked with love!  Thankfully Licorice, Moby, and Daisy all got a chance to take part in the celebration.  This was taken from Food, Fun, and Facts.  For a little added treat, I added a cream cheese frosting and some gummi bears.  It was her Sweet Sixteen, after all so I thought a little extra treat was in order.  Here’s what you need:

• 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1/4 c. peanut butter
  • 1/4 c. cooking oil
  • 1 c. shredded carrots
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1/3 c. honey
  • 1 egg

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Coat a ring mold with cooking spray.

2.  In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and baking soda.  In another combine the remaining ingredients.  Add the flour combination and mix quickly.

3.  Transfer to prepared mold and bake for 30 – 40 minutes.  Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a serving plate.

Notes — serving suggestion is to frost it with some cottage cheese and top it with some carrot pieces. . . like I mentioned earlier, I frosted this one with a cream cheese frosting and topped it with some gummi bears.

18 thoughts on “Remembering Licorice

Melissa@thehungryartist said:
    December 13, 2011 at 10:00 am

Jereme,
    So sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like Licorice had a wonderful life with you—such a great “mom”.

December 14, 2011 at 12:01 am

thank you. i still miss her, but i was glad to have those years with her

Sarah said:
    December 13, 2011 at 10:00 am

Thanks for making me cry! There is no doubt you loved them! They were very blessed to have you!! You treated them both as your child and were definitely part of the family!! I am glad that you are able to memorialize her life!!

December 13, 2011 at 11:59 pm

thanks for visiting and thanks for your kind words. it’s still painful, but i’m definitely in a much better place. if you get a chance you should the post i did on moby, not that i like making people sad.

December 13, 2011 at 10:55 am

Our older dog is about to turn 13, so this pulls at my heart strings. Very nice post.

December 14, 2011 at 12:02 am

it’s weird how much a pet can affect your life.

mbelk said:
    December 13, 2011 at 11:25 am

I am sorry about your dog, I hope your other one lightens your day a little.

December 14, 2011 at 12:05 am

we actually have two now. we rescued a pittie mix about a little over a year ago. he is a handful!

Jake said:
    December 13, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Licorice would be so happy knowing that you could give 2 more, Cooper & Daisy, a good home too. And she would love it that you and Dan gave them as much love as you did to her. That is the best way to honor and remember Ms. Licorice.

December 14, 2011 at 12:06 am

still makes me sad thinking about Licorice and Moby. but Daisy and Cooper keep me busy!

Patti said:
    December 14, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Best Mommy ever! Not only for all the care and love, but for substituting gummi bears for carrots!

December 15, 2011 at 12:29 am

It does add a nice festive touch. Plus they love gummi bears!

sportsglutton said:
    December 14, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I went through a similar experience with my first dog and it was so difficult to lose a family member. However, there are always all the happy memories we carry with us to this day. All the best to you.

December 15, 2011 at 12:34 am

thanks for the kind thoughts. even through all the difficulties, i am glad to have spent all those years taking care of both Moby and Licorice.

newenglandpetguide said:
    December 17, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I so understand your feelings. My Golden (Ruby) had to be put to sleep last yr due to renal failure. Ruby was 18.5 yrs old, quite old for a Golden. Between having an excellent vet and incorporating a lot of organic/holistic methods the total dollars spent throughout those 18.5 yrs was only 300-350 dollars.
    I truly believe in pampering those who give us unconditional love. 🙂

December 18, 2011 at 11:04 pm

other than a reconstructed ACL, Licorice was fairly healthy until the end. We just tried to feed her well and maybe give her the occasional gummi bear every now and again!

Chica Andaluza said:
    December 17, 2011 at 1:37 pm

This made me feel so sad…losing a loved member of the family is tough. It sounds like you have some beautiful memories, do try to hold onto them.

December 18, 2011 at 11:08 pm

There’s lots of wonderful memories of my two babies. And now we get to build more memories with our the two “new” additions to the family!