December Foodie Holidays

Just slowly working away at what's left of the holiday pumpkin

Happy December everybody!  Been out of commission for a while due to an increasingly packed schedule.  But it’s the first of the month and it’s time to learn about our disavowed national holidays from Mr. Squirrel (or is it Mrs?  maybe Ms.?).  It really is the holiday season, but there are other days that deserve recognition, like World AIDS Day which is on the 1st.  Of course, there are the biggies that (mostly) everyone knows (and these are in chronological order according to my Just Chocolate Labs calendar) — Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Boxing Day, and New Year’s Eve.  But here are some of the other national holidays that we should incorporate into our regular rotation.

1  Pie Day

23  Pfeffernuesse Day

24  Egg Nog Day

25  Pumpkin Pie Day

26  Candy Cane Day

27  Fruitcake Day

30  Bicarbonate of Soda Day

There are lots of links for folks to check out this month.  Personally, my favorite is “Chocolate Covered Anything Day”, but how can you not love a holiday all about Baking Soda?

10 thoughts on “December Foodie Holidays

December 1, 2011 at 11:34 am

Egg nog day hooray! Who came up with gazpacho day in December, someone in the other hemisphere perhaps? That is one fat squirrel.

December 1, 2011 at 11:57 am

I was never big on egg nog. But now that I realize that there’s a whole bunch of booze in it, I’m on board!

December 1, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Looking forward to Dec. 16 (chocolate covered anything day)! Oh, but I guess that’s every day for me… he he

sportsglutton said:
    December 1, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I had no idea and am now compelled to rearrange my entire schedule for the month,

saiyiu said:
    December 1, 2011 at 10:12 pm

What a playful post! Now we have an excuse to try a new recipe every day of the month. I had to look up what bouillabaisse is, and now extremely inclined to try it out for the next fish dish 🙂

And thanks for visiting The Pedestrian Cooks!

December 5, 2011 at 9:26 pm

i did recently just find a cookbook that has “holiday” recipes for everyday of the year. i’m gonna try and work that book into some of my postings

Stacey said:
    December 3, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I love this. It’s inspiring me to make cookies for national cookie day tomorrow! Thanks for visiting Spatoola.

December 5, 2011 at 9:32 pm

it’s always a good day for cookies, but especially for National Cookie Day!

Heather Dagenais said:
    December 15, 2011 at 10:22 am

ooo – it’s lemon cupcake day! sounds tasty!