Smoked Fish Dip #2

Here is one use of all that smoke fish I got in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan, if you haven’t been following my most recent posts).  Now this is called “Smoked Fish Dip #2” because it is my second favorite.  But it’s the one that we made and it’s still very good.  This recipe is a lot milder than my #1, which may appeal to more folks, especially if you don’t eat a lot of smoked fish.  The flavor can be a little intense, but I love that smokey goodness.  And what’s nice is that this is quick and easy to make, although you may want to let the dip sit for a little bit so that the flavors can marry a little bit.

Here’s what you need:

• 8 oz. smoked fish (this recipe used whitefish, but use what you like)
  • 16 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce
  • a couple of dashes of hot sauce, to taste
  • 2 T. chopped chives

Coarsely chop the fish; if you like a smoother dip, chop the fish into smaller bits.  In a bowl, beat the cheese until nice and creamy.  Add the fish, salt, pepper, hot sauce, Worcestershire and mix well.  Fold in the chives.  You can let this sit for an hour if you like, but it is ready to serve!

I thought using my fishing-themed salt and pepper shakers was appropriate.

9 thoughts on “Smoked Fish Dip #2

Just A Smidgen said:
    November 13, 2011 at 1:43 pm

This sounds so good, where do you find your smoked whitefish? Did you make it yourself?

November 13, 2011 at 8:46 pm

i did purchase my smoked fish from Manley’s in St. Ignace, MI. they have great stuff at great prices.

November 13, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Oh that’s really nice! I love it because it’s simple, but so flavorful at the same time.

Aimee@clevermuffin said:
    November 13, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Simple and delicious! Just begging for a glass of white wine to be had with it 🙂

sportsglutton said:
    November 14, 2011 at 2:44 pm

You can’t go wrong with smoked fish and simplicity of this recipe. Great stuff.

Karen said:
    November 22, 2011 at 9:42 am

We used to live in Key Largo, Florida and used to serve this so often. Everyone loved it. When my husband went fishing and caught amberjack, he would take it to a local smoke house where it would be smoked. You brought back good food memories.

KathUsitalo said:
    November 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm

My first time exploring your blog—everything looks delish!
    Can you point me to your smoked fish dip #1? I was unable to locate it and I’m curious… have also been to Manley’s as well as others along U.S. 2 west of St. Ignace. Thanks!
    Kath
    Great Lakes Gazette

November 27, 2011 at 8:55 pm

i haven’t posted that one yet, but i plan to soon. i just made a batch of the #1 and just picked up a baguette for it. thanks for stopping by!