Farmers market, or Farmer’s market, or maybe Farmers’ market?

I still am not clear on the proper phrase to use.  Sometimes I find myself overly focused on the correct grammatical term.  They all work on some level which is kinda strange.  Weird thing to become obsessed about, I know.  But I digress. . . This is just a quick post focusing on the Ann Arbor’s Farmers Market (check them out on Facebook, too!)  These were from a couple of weeks ago.  To be more specific, this was our trip to the weekend market the morning before my family got into town for Labor Day weekend.  This was so early that some of the vendors didn’t even set up for the day.  Early trips are nice because you get to beat the crowds, but on the other hand not all the booths are there.  And it can get crowded, especially on home game days when visiting Wolverine fans and alumni come into town.  Anyhoo, hope y’all enjoy this quick introduction to the market.  If y’all are ever in town, make sure to try and stop by.

Squash!
I was so tempted to pick up some of those purple beans.
Luv the squash blossoms. I will post a recipe for some stuffed blossoms soon
Who doesn't luv fresh flowers? I guess if you're allergic you wouldn't. . .
it. . . early. . . Dan. . . need. . . coffee. . .
Isn't nice how everything is so neat and organized?
The baguettes from Cafe Japon are amazing! The best ones in town, in my opinion
I really like the work of this artist. And everything is very reasonably priced.
Those small potatoes up front were the size of raspberries. I see a salad of those, some peas, and some pearl onions, with some mint maybe?
Since Halloween is this month, I thought I'd put in a picture of some Ghost Peppers. Scary!

9 thoughts on “Farmers market, or Farmer’s market, or maybe Farmers’ market?

October 6, 2011 at 9:56 am

That’s an interesting question! I have no idea — I was thinking it might be Farmers’ because there are more than one farmer at the market — but maybe it is supposed to be a generic singular farmer that represents everyone, then it’d be Farmer’s. Anyway, I don’t get to ours nearly enough! This time of year there’s always beautiful apples with samples and cute pumpkins and gourds. Thanks for reminding me — we will have to to this Saturday. Your photos are beautiful. 🙂

October 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm

thanks for the comments! i wish i could have taken more pics, but i get nervous taking pictures of anyone else other than friends and family. i’ve asked around and there still is no consensus about proper terminology 😉

October 6, 2011 at 10:11 am

Ours has another month. I need to get back to it.

October 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm

ours is year round. but wandering around an open air market when it’s -5 degrees out is a difficult sell for me. it is a nice option to have during the winter though

35aweek said:
    October 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Having worked on a newspaper copy desk for 10 years, I’ve got to weigh in on this one: We always used “farmers market,” as in a market that contains farmers. (Love the pics, BTW!)

October 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm

thanks for the visit and the vote. i guess your knowledge carries some weight given the newspaper background!

Hope said:
    October 14, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I too love the symmetry and organization of all the little boxes of veggies at the markets. It’s like order and disorder all at once! Nice pics 🙂 It’s always a little strange for other people when I take pics of random things like produce, but whatever. I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets this stuff!

October 14, 2011 at 11:19 pm

i always feel like i’m intruding on their lives with my pictures. but you’d think they’d like some positive publicity!

Murdercakes said:
    October 15, 2011 at 1:46 am

We visit ours weekly-ish, and it’s open year round, but our veg doesn’t look nearly as nice and shiny as the ones in your pictures.