Day: September 27, 2011
This time last year was the start of a very sad period in the household. After a very quick, very sudden, very severe illness, one of my dogs named Moby had to be put to sleep. He was 10 years old, but he definitely didn’t act like a senior dog. He was always active; he’d chase squirrels all day in the backyard if you let him. Which made it that much more difficult. One day, he’s running around chasing leaves, two days later he’s gone.
He was rescued from a shelter in Mason, MI where I found him sitting in his own filth. Sitting at the front of his pen, his face was just pressed against the gate, and he was just looking down at the ground. All the other dogs in the place were barking and yelping for attention, all except for him. He clearly was not used to being in a place like that. So how could I turn away the saddest puppy in the place who was covered in his own crap? Of course, he would celebrate his new freedom by throwing up into the middle console of my truck on the drive home.
He was a member of the family for over 10 years and I wasn’t ready for him to go. I had spent years trying to prepare for when Licorice, who was the elder dog at the time, would pass away (Licorice died later on in the year on December 13 at the age of 16, so my holidays just plain sucked last year). But this wasn’t supposed to happen to Moby. That was definitely a horrible day for us. I was at the vet for hours listening to him howl in pain; even morphine couldn’t ease his suffering. So on September 27th of last year, we said goodbye to our little buddy. I was a mess for months; even know I can’t help but get emotional as I’m writing this. What made things even worse, I ended up forgetting Daisy’s 1st birthday which happened to be two days later on the 29th.
As is a tradition in this house, all the puppies get a special cake or meal on their birthday. I know that they probably have no clue as to what’s going on, but it’s important to me to celebrate it. So this year we’re making sure to celebrate Daisy’s 2nd birthday with one of Moby’s favorites.
This recipe for the “Very Berry Drooly Dreams” cupcakes was taken from the Three Dog Bakery cookbook. This cookbook is actually a very good resource if you do like to bake goodies for your furry friends since it contains a nice list of non-dog-friendly ingredients. I’m sure everyone knows about chocolate and onions being toxic to dogs, but did you know that macadamia nuts could have adverse effects on the digestive and nervous systems of your pooch? Grapes / raisins also contain toxins that could damage the kidneys if eaten in sufficient amounts. Just a couple of facts that might be useful for folks out there. Anyhoo, here’s what you need:
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. quick rolled oats
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1/4 c. canola oil
- 1/2 c. honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c. low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 c. skim milk
- 1 c. berries, fresh or frozen and thawed
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Coat a standard muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl stir together the flour, oats, and baking powder. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil and honey. Add the eggs, one at a time, then the sour cream and milk. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. Fold in the berries.
3. Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full and bake for 30 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
4. Cool on a rack until room temperature before serving. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. You can freeze them, where they can keep for a couple of months. Just thaw before serving.