Root Beer Float Cupcakes

So in all the hub-bub of National Mustard Day, folks may have forgotten that August 6th is also National Root Beer Float Day.  So how to celebrate?  Why not make a cake or some cupcakes?  Seems simple enough, right?  Sort of an obvious choice for me, but you stick with what you know.  But things get a little tricky — I don’t really know root beer floats.  Luckily I know a couple so I can get their take on it.

Again, not the best pictures I’ve taken.  I am not a professional photographer.  Hell, I don’t even know what the symbols are on your regular point-and-shoot!  What does the “mountain” setting mean anyway?  Is it for high altitude pictures?  Which sounds dumb because it’s a digital camera.  But I digress. . . here’s what you need:

For the cake:

• 2 sticks  butter, softened
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 vegetable oil
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1/2 c. light brown sugar
  • 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 2 1/2  c. root beer

1.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.  Line your pans with cupcake papers and set aside.  I ran out of some papers, so I just sprayed the pans with some cooking spray.  Put the root beer in a saucepan on medium and reduce by half.  Cool and set aside.

2.  Alright, no surprises here!  In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter for about 5 minutes.  Gradually add the sugars and mix on medium for anther 5 minutes.  Add your eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Then add the oil and the vanilla.  Mix well.

2.  Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.  Add to the butter mixture in three additions, alternating with the root beer.

4.  Bake for about 20-25 minutes.  Cool on racks before glazing.

For the glaze:

• 1 c. confectioners sugar
  • 3 T. root beer
  • 1 T. bourbon (completely optional!  but I like booze!)

Sift the confectioners sugar if it is lumpy.  Otherwise just mix the ingredients until smooth.  Depending on the humidity, you may have to adjust the ratios to get the right consistency.  Drizzle the amount desired over your cupcakes.

Notes — I had some leftover Seven-Minute Frosting that I used to top off the cupcakes (if you don’t bake, you will probably never say this sentence in your entire life!).  I then put some of the glaze over the top of that.  Sure looks like a mini root beer float to me!. . . but the glaze does have a tendency to dissolve the frosting. . . of course, traditionally floats are done with vanilla ice cream, so by all means use that instead of the frosting. . . I really liked these cupcakes, but I was hoping for a more pronounced flavor, but if the cupcakes sit for a day, the root beer taste becomes more pronounced. . .

8 thoughts on “Root Beer Float Cupcakes

kward23 said:
    August 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm

These look fantastic!

Heather Dagenais said:
    August 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm

yum!

August 25, 2011 at 6:06 pm

i really didn’t take good pics of these. i’m still learning

August 29, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I missed that day too. I need to print out your posts on food days. These sound awesome. Root beer floats are one of my favorite things.

August 29, 2011 at 6:04 pm

this one i still need to fine tune, but i’m not sure which direction to go

tinkerbelle86 said:
    August 30, 2011 at 5:59 am

those cupcakes look delicious, such a pro!! i made some this weekend, would love to know what you think

kathryningrid said:
    December 16, 2011 at 7:41 pm

A few things come to mind as I read this, first of all that it sounds like a dandy alternative version of a root beer float. Then there’s your note that the root beer flavor comes out more strongly as these ‘age’–but I ask you, who can let a good cupcake sit still long enough for this?? Then I must commend you on the addition of the bourbon, which has to be a good and sensible addition indeed. And then, perhaps I would ask if one shouldn’t sip some additional bourbon (perhaps with a root beer chaser) alongside the cupcakes, in which instance it’s just possible that the faintness of the root beer flavor wouldn’t make one as sad. Just a thought. 🙂

December 18, 2011 at 11:10 pm

when in doubt, add bourbon! there’s always room for bourbon!